Job Title: Horticulture Tutor
Reports to (Role): CEO
Full Time / Part Time: Full time or part time opportunity (min 22.5 hours)
Salary: Circa: £21,000 – £24,000 (FTE)
R-evolution are an East Riding based charity providing training and life coaching to disadvantaged people in an effort to help them move towards employment. Our main projects are based around cycle maintenance and horticulture where trainees spend between 3-9 months developing a range of soft skills.
This project includes training based in formal gardens, allotment sites and landscaping settings towards Royal Horticulture Society qualifications.
To develop the R-evolution Horticulture Project including training and supervision of participants and volunteers and liaison with stakeholders
- Helping to establish the project in the community.
- Liaising with key partners and steering group to agree scope of work.
- Supervising and training volunteers and trainees.
- Maintaining and developing the horticulture sites to a high standard.
- Ensuring healthy and safe operations on site with appropriate risk assessments in place.
- Maintaining tools and plant stock.
- Organising the supply of plants, disposal of rubbish and grass cutting through East Riding of Yorkshire Council.
- Transporting plants and trainees, as appropriate.
- Development of community training and horticulture workshops for the public.
- Sourcing suitable suppliers for tools and equipment.
- Assisting at events through promoting the project and R-evolution in general.
- Maintaining sound relationships with partner community organisations.
- Liaising with the R-evolution Life Coach, as appropriate.
- Ensuring paperwork is complete, circulated and stored appropriately.
- Providing information and expertise for reports.
- Any other duties relevant to the level of this post as reasonably requested.
- Supervises volunteers and trainees
R-evolution policies that must be followed in this role
- Adult Safeguarding
- Child Protection
- Equality and Diversity
- Health and Safety
- Information Governance and Data Protection
- Preventing Radicalisation
- Slavery and Human Trafficking
- Other employment-related policies
Key Performance Measures
- Enhancement of gardens (Feedback from stakeholders and steering group)
- Retention of volunteers and trainees (life coaching and exit feedback)
- Number of stakeholders engaged (quantity, quality and feedback)
- Number of informal qualifications obtained by members of the public (target: 16 in 2019)
- Number of accredited qualifications obtained (target: 6 in 2019)
- Number of health and safety incidents (target: zero)
- Quality of supervision and training provided (feedback from trainees)
- Good secondary education preferred
- Level 2 certificate in horticulture minimum
- Teaching/trainer qualification preferred
- Skilled horticulturist
- Training and supervisory skills
- Essential that the applicant has a full driving license
- Knowledge of safe systems of work
- Knowledge of relevant legal requirements including risk assessment, health and safety
- Substantial experience in horticulture (5 years +)
- Experience of supervising and training others
- Enthusiasm for horticulture
- Enthusiasm for helping disadvantaged individuals and communities
- Sound partnership development skills
- Positive attitude and enthusiasm
Other terms and conditions: 5 weeks holiday/annum
Other Relevant Information: Although the project is based in Beverley and Willerby the R-evolution head office is in Cottingham and the post holder will need to attend meetings at all three locations from time to time.
Training is available to develop the successful applicant into a position to deliver RHS qualifications, where appropriate.
Please submit a covering letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by 26th May 2019.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.