The Doncaster Macmillan Benefits Advice Service is a one-stop-shop for cancer survivors to access independent advice and information in relation to welfare benefits, help to apply for entitlements such as Blue Badges, and support in accessing other charity grants. This service is delivered through local community hubs or within the clients own home by experienced advisors and supported by a team of volunteers.
Our involvement from diagnosis onwards helps our client’s to plan and organise their finances from the start of their treatment. We constantly promote and highlight that early intervention is paramount in achieving optimum results.
We also offer advocacy support for those who need assistance with benefit disputes, and Tribunal representation.
In addition to the financial assessments we also offer the following by way of observational checks of the home environment:
- make recommendations and signpost for the need for aids/adaptations
- make referrals to other cancer charities, eg. Aurora, Firefly
- Refer/signpost to other charities to help fund items such as riser recliners, beds etc.
- Signpost to emotional support services within the community, including Live at Home, St. Johns Information Service, and Health and Wellbeing Officers and their Counselling Team.
- Identify the need for involvement in social activities, and signpost into available local services.
- Refer for specialist debt support.
Who can access the service?
We are able to assist anyone with a cancer diagnosis living within the Doncaster boundary, who are paying Council Tax to Doncaster Metropolitan Borough Council.
Individuals are usually referred to us by a member of their care team, or alternatively you can contact us directly to discuss your needs.
Once in touch with our service, a member of our team will discuss further the kind of support that is available, and will conduct an assessment to identify help best tailored to your needs. The team will also let you know what other information you may need to provide copies of, and where necessary will invite you to a one to one appointment to complete any additional forms. The team then develops a plan of support and will guide you through the entire process.
Get Involved in our work
We are always on the look out for people to help us support cancer survivors in Doncaster. If you would like more information on volunteering with us, please contact us via one of the methods at the bottom of the page.