Direct Payments

Hull CVS on behalf of Hull City Council provides a payroll service to individuals who receive a direct payment for their care needs.

Unlike NHS care, adult social care is not free although most people will not be asked to pay the full cost of their care. Many people pay a contribution and their local Council pays the rest. So that the Council can work out what your contribution should be, they will first need to do a financial assessment.

To receive an initial assessment in Hull and understand what you may be eligible for, you should contact Hull City Council at:

A personal budget is an amount of funding paid to you from adult social care which you can spend on the services and support you need to help you live more independently. You can use the money to buy services from the council, from other providers, or both.

If you would like to take control of your support service instead of having it arranged for you, then direct payments may be for you.

You can choose to take all or part of your personal budget to manage for yourself and arrange your own care services. The money you choose to use from your personal budget is called a direct payment.

Direct payments give you greater choice and control over your life. You decide who is going to give the support you need, and how they will do it.

You can use your direct payment however you wish as long as it helps you live independently and safely.

Your support worker will understand how your direct payment is meeting your needs in your support plan.

You can use your direct payment to –

Your designated support worker will tell you more about the options available to you and will assist you in putting in to place your preferred method of care.

To employ a personal assistant (PA) you need the support from Choices and Rights to get started, and your social worker will put you in to contact with them:

You can employ a friend or a member of your family as long as they do not live in the same house as you. The Choices and Rights worker will help you to set up their employment. If you do not know who you want to employ, Choices and Rights will also provide the help for you. They have a list of personal assistants (PAs) and will help you recruit someone. This will include arranging a DBS (disclosure and barring service) check and helping you take up references if you wish.

The Choices and Rights support worker will also help you set up the insurance you need as an employer. You cannot start any employment until the insurance is in place.

Hull CVS provides the part of the package that enables you to be an employer of a personal assistant, but relieves you of the administration of the payroll. Our service includes:

  • Calculation of monthly salary payments include PAYE and National Insurance.
  • Calculation of other statutory payments including Statutory Sick Pay, Statutory Maternity Pay and Statutory Paternity Pay.
  • Paying over of HM Revenue and Customs payments and keeping relevant records in order to process year end returns.
  • Production of employee’s payslips and summary sheets for the organisation showing all payments due, including payments to the HM Revenue and Customs.

For further information please contact one of our payroll team on 01482 324474 or email

Rachael Fischer
Rachael FischerHead of HR & Operations
Gina Boardman
Gina BoardmanPayroll Manager
Barbara Adair
Barbara AdairPayroll Assistant
Karen Rustill
Karen RustillPayroll Assistant
Leah Barton
Leah BartonPayroll Assistant

Contact us:

Direct Payments
Hull CVS
The Strand
75 Beverley Road