Come and join our team in Hull where we have an exciting opportunity for Community Development Worker, working with African & Migrant Communities in Hull. Yorkshire MESMAC is a group of independent community based sexual health and social wellbeing services that are committed to developing and delivering services that are responsive to the needs of our communities.
- To reduce the prevalence of HIV/STI infection and poor sexual health within the Hull population and Black African and migrant communities.
- To promote better sexual health choices through outreach, social media, events and community development.
- To reduce late diagnosis of HIV and other STIs in Hull.
- To develop expertise in and focus the majority of work on the following target group: Black African and Migrant communities. To maintain and use the skills required to work with all population groups.
- To undertake outreach work, focusing on the following target groups: Black African and Migrant communities groups, areas/events where the above may go – assessing need in relation to safer sex and sexual health.
- To develop forums, groups and events which meet the needs of Black African and Migrant communities.
- To offer information, training and sexual health resources, including condoms and lube, in a variety of settings; including over the telephone, face to face and over internet.
- To deliver appropriate community based sexual health interventions including HIV and syphilis point of care tests (POCT), pregnancy tests and chlamydia gonorrhoea screening to the target groups in community settings and during our testing drop ins at our Hull base.
- To market these services, monitor and evaluate them.
- To work in partnership with appropriate agencies to develop these services further.
Main Responsibilities & Duties (list not exhaustive – please refer to the job description and person specification on our website for full details)
- To assess needs in relation to safer sex and sexual health of Black African and Migrant communities as a whole and higher risk sub-groups identified with in this target group as well as the wider population, & to develop ways of working around their perceived, felt and expressed needs around safer sex.
- To develop a programme of outreach work within the BME community and the wider Hull population, in conjunction with Yorkshire MESMAC Community Development Workers, Sessional Outreach Workers, volunteers and the Hull & East Yorkshire Operations Manager.
- To work with existing groups, community leaders, shops, venues, university groups and other appropriate organisations to improve service delivery for Black African and Migrant communities
Salary: NJC scale 6 (points 19 – 22) starting at £25,481 pro rata per annum for 14 hours per week. This is a 1 year fixed term contract with possible extension. Salary is reviewed annually. There is a 5% workplace pension (on completion of probationary period). This post is subject to an Enhanced DBS with barred lists check.
Application packs (along with the job description and person specification) can be downloaded from our website https://www.mesmac.co.uk/contact/vacancies/digital-engagement-worker-hull-21-hours+/www.mesmac.co.uk/contact/vacancies/digital-engagement-worker-hull-21-hours
Completed applications to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by the closing date.
Closing date for application is Noon on Wednesday 29th September 2021.
Please note that late applications and CV’s will not be accepted
If your application is successful then Interviews will be on Monday 11th October 2021 in Hull.
We value diversity and are an equal opportunities employer, as well as a Disability Confident employer. Applications are welcome from all suitably skilled persons from all sections of the community, in particular the african community who are currently under-represented in our Hull workforce.
To apply for this job please visit https.